Hoch Farmhouse built by
William Hoch in 1905. The farmhouse contains two floors of artifacts and archival materials representative of Killaloe's early history. It contains cherished items from the 1880s through the 1900s.
Matthias Yourth took title of this land through the government of Upper Canada’s immigration program which granted land for settlement and agricultural development.
Yourth sold 200 acres of his land grant (now the Hoch Farm) to Wilhelm and Amelia Hoch for $3,000. in 1904. The original bill of sale is on display in the museum.
William (originally Wilhelm) was born in 1863 Germany where he apprenticed as a blacksmith and wagon maker. He ventured into dairy farming after he came to Canada. In the census he listed his occupation at the time as "butter maker".
The last Hoch family member to live on the farm was Wesley, a reclusive bachelor who died in mysterious circumstances in 1989.
William built the barn, framed by local master carpenter, Anthony Levair, to house his herd of dairy cattle. William opened the first creamery in the area. In addition to two dozen Holstein cattle he kept sheep, horses, chickens and pigs.
In 1996 he farm was bequeathed to the Township of Killaloe-Hagarty-Richards.
Fundraising, restoration and management of the Hoch farm is the responsibility of the Killaloe Heritage & Ecology Society.
The Pioneer Farmhouse Museum is
Open July to Thanksgiving.
Copyright © 2015 Killaloe Heritage and Ecology Society all rights reserved. Website by Viable Media